NYC Sober Living: Good friends need good info
The need to stay sober after people come out of rehabilitation is key to a complete recovery process. Entering into a sober home in NYC is a great extra support that should be done complimentary with a proper outpatient service. For this to fully take shape, they are certain approaches, mannerism and behavior that they most strictly observe. With the help of family and friends, the steps and processes can be relatively smooth
Sobriety depicts a state of calmness and being articulate, thus it requires determination and commitment from the helping party as well as the one who wants to be sober. In recent times, excessive and consistent substance consumption–with most likely a combination of genetic factors–leads to addiction and we have seen staggeringly high rates over the years. This does not mean we are hopeless, however, they are a number of ways one can help a friend to remain sober and avoid a relapse.
These are some of the ways we can help friends maintain good sober living:
- Accept them without resentment: By not being judgmental and accepting them without negative criticism, one can express love and care. This will help in the recovering process. Taken a step further, we can praise their decision for wanting to come out of addiction.
- Encourage them to embark on healthy habits: Exercise and engaging in sporting activities with a small group of friends will keep them positively busy. This new activity can keep them away from alcohol and drug abuse.
- Try meditation and Yoga: Meditation will help in quieting the mind of the individual. Then through Yoga postures, the person can reestablish connection with their body and soul. All these will instill calmness in the being.
- Encourage activeness: When the mind and body is gainfully engaged in a profitable venture, they will be little or no room for indulgence in alcohol or drug.
- Ask them to set goals: By setting goals, they will try to be accountable, and this will lead to responsibility. Having goals and challenging oneself to get better than they were would actually push them to reach new heights in staying sober.
- They should select the events they attend. This is very crucial. When recovering, its highly advisable for people to stay off environment that encourages drinking. This may also require they catch off friends who might oppose their resolve.
- Choose an affirmative reply to questions. Their new habit will definitely raise eyebrows, questions will be asked. It will be wise for them to have a handy calm and thoughtful response. This will put off the temptation of wanting to drink.
- Encourage them to talk to people they trust about their recovery. This will help them in getting more emotional support from more people, his ensuring them that they are not alone.
- Encourage them to be honest and open up when they feel bored. By being honest about how they feel at every given time, it will help in rendering useful advice to them on what they should do or ought not to do.
The ability to maintain sobriety is a continual journey. And this is only made possible through support from family and friends. People who are coming out of addiction must be told to be responsible for their well being. They should take control of themselves, noting that their happiness is their right and should always be guided. Valley Spring is always available to help you or your loved through the recovery process. Learn more about our NYC sober living residency and the recovery services we can provide.
Feel free to read out previous blog about How to have fun in New York without drugs and alcohol